Just watched the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby, in California, sadly, and not at Churchill Downs. But I had my low carb mint julep–in a perfectly sweating silver julep cup–in hand. With a garden exploding in fresh mint (and, appropriately, red roses) it was hard to quit with just one… so we had another!
Congratulations to California Chrome and the DAP winners! It was a thrill to watch from wire to wire.
Low Carb Mint Julep
- 4 ounces (120 ml) sugar free simple syrup (Torani, Davinci or other)
- 40 fresh mint leaves (plus 4 nice mint ‘tops’ for garnishing)
- 8 ounces (240 ml) quality bourbon
- 4 cups (.9 liters) cracked ice
- In a pan on the stove, bring about 12 of the mint leaves and the simple syrup to a boil and turn off the heat. Let the mint infuse into the syrup for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain and cool.
- In each of 4 rocks glasses (or better silver julep cups) make the cocktails as follows:
- Put 7 mint leaves (a lucky number!)
- Add 1 ounce (30 ml) of the mint-infused sugar free simple syrup and 2 ounces (60 ml) of the bourbon and muddle well.
- Fill the glass with cracked ice and slowly stir to bring the sweet bourbon up to the top and let the ice begin to melt.
- Garnish with a mint ‘top’ and serve immediately.