Makes 4 servings (multiplies easily)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces (60 g) smoked salmon lox or Nova Scotia salmon
- 2 tablespoons(30 ml) Avo Mayo (or homemade mayonnaise)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dill pickle juice
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.75 ml) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) capers, drained
- Paprika, chopped chives, a few salmon eggs or lox scraps for garnish
- Put the eggs into a small saucepan and fill to cover them well with cold water.
- Add the baking soda to the pot and bring to a vigorous boil over medium high heat.
- Once boiling, cover, and remove from heat; set aside for precisely 10 minutes to complete the hard boiling process.
- Drain the pan and fill with cold water to cool the eggs.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the eggs.
- Cut the cooked eggs in half and remove the yolks to a bowl. Set the white halves aside.
- Dice the salmon finely and set aside.
- Mash the yolks with a fork and add the mayonnaise, mustard, pickle juice, and seasonings, except paprika.
- Fold in the capers and salmon to the egg yolk mixture.
- Fill each egg half with a scoop of the yolk mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika or garnish with salmon scraps, salmon roe, and chives.