One of the things I’ve missed most in giving up gluten and keeping low carbs is the joy of a good BLT in the summer when the Vidalia onions come on and the tomatoes are at their peak. But I can have all the tastes of those, well at least almost all of them, with this:
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons homemade mayonnaise (or your preferred mayo)
For the salad assembly
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, washed, torn, and dried well
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium ripe tomato, seeded and diced
- 6 strips thick bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients, except the mayo, in a salad bowl and let stand a few minutes. Whisk in the mayo.
- Add the lettuce and onions and toss to coat evenly.
- Finally, add the tomatoes and bacon and toss gently to mix.
- Divide between two serving bowls and enjoy!